Prevalence and risk factors of preterm birth in HUSM case-control study from January 2014-December 2015

Alias, Nurrul Satiah (2017) Prevalence and risk factors of preterm birth in HUSM case-control study from January 2014-December 2015. Masters thesis, Universiti Sains Malaysia.

PDF - Submitted Version
Download (766kB) | Preview


Objective This study was designed to identify the prevalence and risk factors for preterm birth in HUSM in year 2014 to 2015 This study looked into the risk factors of preterm birth according to maternal socio – demographic, previous pregnancy and reproductive characteristics, and current maternal and prenatal pregnancy status. Methodology This retrospective case control study was conducted in HUSM for period from 2014 to 2015. The study included 418 preterm birth and 418 term birth who delivered in HUSM. All their medical record were reviewed and related information were entered in a standard data collection form. Chi –square is use to compare distribution of variables between groups. Univariable analysis used to evaluate association between independent variables and preterm birth. Multivariable analysis will be use and all the variable displaying significant relationship with preterm birth in the univariable analysis will be employed to calculate odd ratio (OR) of potential risk factor associate with preterm birth.Results There were 418 preterm birth and 418 term birth cases involved in this study. The prevalence of preterm birth was 6.8%. The majority of patient was Malay which is 98.1% and the rest was Chinese (1.9%). Spontaneous preterm birth (SPTB) give raised to 52.2% of the delivery, preterm pre-labour rupture of membrane (PPROM) was 31.6% and medically indicated preterm birth (MIPTB) birth was 16.3%. Base on gestational age, mild preterm (32 weeks till < 37 weeks) occur the most 90.2%, followed by late preterm (28 weeks – 32 weeks) 8.1% and extremely preterm (less than 28 weeks) 1.7%. Multipara patient was lower the chance to have preterm labor by 39% compared to patient with nulliparous. Patients that had previous preterm birth increased the risk of preterm by 10.83 compared to those who had no history of preterm birth before (CI: 0.62-25.40, p-value <0.001). Meanwhile, patient with hypertension and DM had 2.75 odds and 2.00 odds of preterm birth compared to those who had no Hypertension and DM as comorbid (CI:1.56-4.86, p-value <0.001) (CI:1.27-3.18, p-value=0.003). Working patient increased the odds of getting preterm birth by 3.40 when comparing to not working patient (CI:2.40-4.82, p-value <0.001). Lastly, patient with baby boy had 70% odds of exposing to preterm birth compared to patient with baby girl (CI:1.24-2.29, p-value=0.001). Conclusion Early detection and treatment of disease or disorder among pregnant patient especially hypertension, diabetes, and started preventive measure for those with previous history of preterm birth can improve the outcome for preterm birth and will reduce the preterm prevalence rate.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Uncontrolled Keywords: Premature birth
Subjects: R Medicine > RG Gynecology and obstetrics
Divisions: Kampus Kesihatan (Health Campus) > Pusat Pengajian Sains Perubatan (School of Medical Sciences) > Thesis
Depositing User: Mr Abdul Hadi Mohammad
Date Deposited: 17 Sep 2019 06:49
Last Modified: 22 Oct 2020 03:03

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item